Monday 10 February 2014

Where do I begin? Try the middle.

Your name is Melvyn/Melvynetta Parrott.  You're a health and safety consultant.  And you're about to do a presentation to a bunch of people who don't give a damn.  They're fiddling with their smartphones as you stand up to speak.

How do you start?

Some say you should begin by introducing yourself, saying what you’re there to speak about, how long you’re going to speak, what you’re going to cover, the order in which you’ll cover it, and so on.  Here’s an example.  Read it in your best nerdy voice:

"Good morning.  My name is Parrott and I am delighted to be here with you today.  My topic 'Health & Safety in the Workplace' is one of significant importance as I hope to demonstrate to you.  I have restricted myself to one hour, which will allow plenty of time for the many questions I'm sure you will have.  I have divided my presentation into just 17 parts.  First I will consider why health and safety is important. Then I will give instances of..." and so on.

Well, it's safe.  And methodical.  So it shows the speaker is...safe and methodical.  But as an opener, it's not especially electrifying.  How about this, instead?

“Last year, 500 people died at work.  Of these 149 were electrocuted, 81 were burned, 153 were mangled in machinery, 57 fell off buildings and 60 died from stress-related disease.”

Or this?

"You'll notice that my left arm has been amputated.  It happened in an industrial accident 10 years ago.  That's why I became a health and safety consultant and that's why I'm here today."

Now get back into role and read that last opener again in a nerdy voice.  Still much more engaging, eh?

So the moral is: find the drama at the heart of your topic and begin there.  Time for introductions later.


No comments:

Post a Comment